Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Type is Not Just Type

By:
Sabin Arditty
Design/Production

When I talk to people about certain designs or ads, I ask them specifically what they like about them. Often times I get answers such as, "I like the use of color", "the composition is really interesting" or "great use of shapes". Now, I'm not saying these aren't good observations. However, I think one major design component that is overlooked by most people are typefaces.



Many won't think twice about a font just as long as they can read the message or that they know the difference between serif and sans serif. We forget that with each font comes certain connotations that effect the viewer's perception or even evoke different emotions when looking at a design or advertisement.

This Infographic gives an excellent look into the history of western typefaces. What are some of your favorite typefaces?

No comments:

Post a Comment