Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Bowl Ads, Beyond Disappointment.

By Cynti Oshin
Director Client Services/Business Development

The annual buildup to the great reveal of some of our biggest brands' television spots during the Super Bowl is almost as important as the build up to the game itself.  As someone said, there are two kinds of Super Bowl party attendees, the shushers during the game and the shushers during the advertisements.  Needless to say, I am a commercial shusher.  Or, at least I WAS.  Yesterday's parade of dum (sic) dum (sic) dum (sic) ads was my biggest disappointment of the year.  However, that should tell you how lucky a girl I am.  

While watching the Go Daddy, Doritos, TaxACT, Teleflora and other spots, I longed for the original E-Trade baby spots, Volkswagen's Empire Strikes Back, and even the MacIntosh spots of yesteryear.  Of the roughly 36 advertisers who ran spots during the game, I can count on one hand how many I found anywhere from mildly amusing to 'spot on' brand strategy execution.


What did you think?  I am completely off base?  Tell me why, I'd love to know.  And only 364 more days until we can have this conversation again.

Source: Adage.com



No comments:

Post a Comment