Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Blogged Out

Rick Stanton, Creative Director / Managing Partner, Stanton & Everybody Advertising + Design

Much to the chagrin of my fabulous Lisa Dahlby, my blogging efforts have waned lately.
In analyzing this situation I came to the conclusion that it may be a reflection on all this social media; it’s exhausting. And in too many cases, drivel.
First of all, if you really have enough time to knock an op-ed piece out everyday you are either a member of the press or you are unemployed.
I actually have work to do these days. A sign things may be getting ever so better.
The second matter is one of content. Is there really that much going on everyday that is that important that I should bomb you with my point of view on it?
There is a trend in this country that is alarming. Unvarnished, fact-based reporting has given way to opinion-based news making. When a tub-of-guts, pea brain like Rush Limbaugh can still command an audience even after the thrashing the extreme right is taking on a daily basis, it tells me there are a lot more sheep out there then herders.
People want to be told what to think and believe in ten second sound bites. It takes less time and it eliminates that irritating step called learning.
This was brought to light even more so by the recent passing of Walter Cronkite.
If you are old enough to have seen him in action you know what I mean.
He commanded respect by being honest. You trusted the man and you relied on him for information. He only showed his emotions when it was appropriate. And it almost always echoed the feelings of most Americans. Think the assassination of President Kennedy and the Moon landing.
Walter Cronkite was a true newsman. Rush Limbaugh is an opinionated hate monger.
This is coming from someone who views himself a Centrist and crosses over both sides of the aisle depending on the issues.
As for social media, I commented a while back that I finally witnessed its best and most important use during the Iran election when tweeting revealed the regrettable scenes in the street. Not commenting on the junk between your toes or the awesome Taco you are eating right this second.
It strikes me that the importance of any communication, even advertising, is to have something worth saying in an interesting way. As McCann Erickson used to say, the truth told well. Or in the case of opinions, your slant on the truth told well.
Anything else is a waste of time. And frankly, lately I haven’t had much to talk about that I felt was worth yours. I hope this effort causes some to think about how little we actually do think and start learning more and listening less.

Worth Reading: http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Marketing/Branding/maintaining_the_customer_experience_2259

No comments:

Post a Comment